Saturday, January 27, 2018

Card #36: The Toys Made Us

I have been watching a lot of Netflix in my down time recently.

One show/documentary that I particularly like is a series called The Toys That Made Us.  It is a four episode web series discussing the origins of hit toy lines and the impact they had on pop culture.  So far Star Wars, Barbie, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, and G.I. Joe have been featured.

Kenner of course not only made Star Wars figures, but in the late 80s went on to produce one of the most collectible lines of sports figures ever produced.

I doubt it would ever happen, but I would love to see one about Starting Lineups.  As a kid I had two small waste basket bins full of Starting Lineups.  I had so many of the stars and nonstars.  I would go to my friend's house and we would pretend to play a game using the figures.

My 1988 Cal Ripken Jr. figures lost both arms trying to hit a nerf ball, keep in mind he was a fielding figure.

I didn't have many of the legends figures as I didn't know much about them.  I remember having a twin pack of Willie Mays and a Willie McCovey.  I also had a Hank Aaron, which I used for my shoebox diorama I had to construct for my book project about a historical figure.  Yup, I chose Hank Aaron as a historical figure to write and present about.  Take that George Washington.

One figure I never had and still don't have is the twin pack of Roberto Clemente with Willie Stargell.

I did however manage to grab the card that came with the figures.

The Starting Lineup cards featured images of the players not usually seen in major releases and your standard offensive statistics on the back.

3 comments:

  1. I've been watching that show too. It's been fascinating so far. I'm really enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Knocked out the whole series in one evening - phenomenal study of the impact that toys have on culture! I can't wait for their second half. SLU figures or baseball cards would both make excellent epsiode topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fan of the 1989 Kenner SLU Baseball Greats set. Solid checklist and design.

    ReplyDelete