Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Card #97: Project 2020

Topps has really done a tremendous job in marketing their online exclusive cards in the past few years.  Not only does it cut back on costs, because the card's print runs are literally printed to whatever the demand is, they are also coming up with ideas to stay fresh to the current collecting environments.

Topps Now changed the way Topps began to print exclusive to what fans wanted.  They have continued that success with their Throwback Thursday and Living Set cards.

This year Topps introduced Project 2020.  The idea is unique.  Take 20 of the most iconic Topps cards and 20 unique artists to reimagine those cards.  Each artist will draw the selected 20 cards, giving fans a potential 400 card set.

Roberto Clemente's 1955 rookie card was selected as one of the subjects.
 Legendary tattoo artist, Mister Cartoon, wad the first to put his spin on the card. 

I showed off my framed rookie reprint a few years ago here.
The backs of all the Project 2020 cards feature a brief bio about the artist along with details of the project and the original card.


What have your thoughts been on Project 2020?  Are you collecting any of them?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome, I figured you be getting at least one Clemente card.

    Some of the Project 2020 cards are absolutely horrible, but, hey, I'm an old guy.

    I just got two Koufax cards, including the new one w/ the Brooklyn Dodgers logo, my first 2020 cards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like everything about the card except that weird decision to cut off half of Clemente's face.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Most are okay. A handful are bad. And a few are really cool (in my humble opinion). I thought about grabbing a Gwynn last week, but passed. I like the way one of the artists does his cards, so I'll be on the lookout for his version of the Gwynn or Rickey rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete